First of all, let me say I LOVE Mark Brunell and beleive he will take us to a superbowl before his days here are done. But i was reading a "what-if" thread at hailredskins.com and it sparked an idea for this thread.
Every action has a chain of consequences. Since signing Brunell was pretty much the first thing Gibbs did when he came back, it would be a good place to start with what I think would be a neat series of "what if" threads. When you make your speculations as to what would have happened, do so knowing that you have the benefit of hind-sight.
1. Skins don't sign Mark Brunell.
2. Since Gibbs doesnt trust Ramsey, he uses our first pick in the '04 draft to pick Rothlesberger instead of Taylor.
3. Rothlesberger performs well in 2004 and is our starting QB. We no longer need Ramsey.
4. After the 2004 season, the Skins accept Miami's offer of their 2006 1st round pick for Ramsey.
5. Skins still draft Carlos Rogers with their 2005 1st round pick. Since we don't need a QB, we don't pull any trades to move to 25 to get Campbell.
6. In 2006, the Skins have two 1st round draft picks, #16 and #22 overall. They package these two picks, and potentially a lower round pick as well, to trade up to #5 (from Green Bay) and draft LB AJ Hawk to replace Lavar Arrington.
7. Assuming all other FA signings remained the same, we use our 2006 second round pick to draft the best available CB (either by staying at #53 or trading up).
Given that scenario, we lose Brunell, Campbell, and Taylor. But we gain Rothlesberger, AJ Hawk, and a starting CB.
In evaluating this scenario, keep in mind that Brunell won't be starting for too many more seasons, Taylor may be going to Jail, and AJ Hawk hasn't proven anything in the NFL yet. So what do you think about that "what-if" scenario?
And what other scenarios do you think could have happened, had we not signed Brunell?