WEEKLY VIEWER REPORT
September 24- 30
TOTAL RESPONSE - 4,907 [down 38% from previous week]
Letters 9 ( 2 favorable/general; 7 unfavorable)
Calls 512 ( 176 favorable/general; 336 unfavorable)
Emails 4,386 (1,168 favorable/general; 3,218 unfavorable)
Total 4,907 (1,346 favorable/general; 3,561 unfavorable)
College Football fans disappointed Saturday's Miami vs. Duke game was not televised on ESPN or ABC [25 % of all CFB feedback]
Viewers outside of the regionalized areas upset Oregon vs. Cal and Clemson vs. Ga Tech games were not televised nationwide
Viewers offer opinions on Michael Vick town meeting 'SportsCenter Special: The Vick Divide'
FIFA Women's World Cup fans enjoyed the extensive LIVE coverage, but felt there was too much talk about US goalkeeper during the game against Brazil
Fans enjoyed ESPN2's presentation of the 2007 Drum Corp International Championships
Top items this week:
College Football - 1,690 (331 fav/gen; 1,359 unfav) [ 9/29 and 9/30 - 661; midweek schedule inquiries - 400; carry over from previous week - 629]
[Volume Comparison: Last week: - 3,486 (f-407, u-3079); This Season - 10,926 (f- 1,646, u- 9,280)]
Viewer feedback to Saturday's games is down 52% from the previous week. Schedule issues remain the primary source of concern among fans, however a significant shift in volume this weekend can be attributed to that fact that we did not leave games in progress and switched away to another match-up.
Scheduling - 780
Disappointed ESPN or ABC did not televise Saturday's Miami vs. Duke game - 396 [Requested for game to be added to ESPN GamePlan - 186]
Viewers in the East and Midwest upset Oregon vs. Cal not shown nationally [game was offered in 20% of the country and on ESPN GamePlan] - 129
Fans outside of the Clemson vs. Ga Tech market upset it was not shown nationally [game offered in 21% of the country and on ESPN GamePlan] - 51
Viewers complaining about regionalization of Saturday's games on ABC / think it's unfair - 101
Viewers with no access to ESPNU disappointed they couldn't see Pittsburgh vs. Virginia - 24
Schedule questions - 79
- "I live in Colorado; Texas and Kansas State equals BORING. Rest assured your ratings will be weak where CAL/ORG isn't on (besides home team markets) It should be on nationally."
- "Just wanted to write and ask ya'll to put on the Miami /Duke game on one of your stations or GamePlan this week."
Carry-over from previous week - 629:
Scheduling - Cutting away from games in regionalized markets upset fans - 287
Commentators - OU vs. TU - unrelated discussion about Notre Dame perceived as excessive - 219
Schedule questions - 123
Commentators - 160
* Disliked female commentators during LSU vs. Tulane game Saturday - 52
Commentary during ND vs. Purdue, MSU vs. Wisconsin, USC vs. Washington and Thursday's Boise State game perceived as biased and unprofessional - 83
Disliked overall commentary - 25
- "I hope you review the game and the commentator Pam Ward. I really wonder if she knows anything about football. She is calling out things in the game that aren't even close. I don't dislike her commentary she's just off. ex. calling kick offs- punts."
- "Those two you had covering that game are so bad and again ESPN shows its true colors as all out Notre Dame haters."
- "The announcers sound like they didn't prepare for this game. The make simple comments and show hits that MSU makes five times to embarrass the Spartans. Very biased."
Overall Coverage - 88
Five minute interview with USF head coach during Auburn game perceived as too lengthy - 35
Disliked halftime shows - 12
General comments on teams, athletes and coaches - 41
- "What were your producers thinking? An inane, self congratulatory interview for 5 minutes while a top ranked team is driving, losing by 14 and not a single play call, replay. Bush League coverage."
Click link for rest
I wonder how common it is for TV stations to get such a large percentage of negative feedback? For the most part, people hate ESPN since Disney bought it...and this seems to reflect that. They really need to re-think their strategies and agendas, or its going to become a failed network.