Click here: ESPN - Source: New York Mets agree to three-year deal with Francisco Rodriguez
The New York Mets agreed to a three-year deal with free-agent closer Francisco Rodriguez a source told ESPN on Tuesday. Rodriguez's deal, worth $37 million plus additional incentives, is pending a physical. It is a one-year increase over the two years and $24 million the Mets are said to have initially offered the closer, who broke the major league single-season saves record last season with 62.FoxSports.com previously had reported that the Mets had offered Rodriguez a third year.
The Mets, whose bullpen was a major culprit in the team's second straight September swoon, are in need of a front-line closer to replace the injured Billy Wagner, who likely will miss all of 2009 following elbow surgery.
The contract would pay Rodriguez about $3 million more than he was offered by the Los Angeles Angels in spring training and $6 million less than Wagner's deal with the Mets.
This is great great news, lets hope this is the 1st of many good signings this offseason!