Is it just me, or does anyone else get the scary feeling that we have no idea what this Redskins franchise is about? I keep looking for a direction, a label, or an image the Skins can hang their hat on, and all I come up with is KNEE JERK REACTION.
Seems like this went on from the moment Danny Snyder got hold of this team and it continued up until Joe Gibbs came back. And the moment Gibbs left again, once again the KNEE JERK syndrome began all over again.
It all started with the coaching search. Coach after coach was being considered, and we all know that Danny wanted Cowher. But even before hiring a coach, Danny couldn't sit still, because his knee was jerking, so he went out and hired Greg Blache as the Defensive coordinator.
As the Coaching parade continued, still WITHOUT a head coach, Danny decided to interview an offensive coordinator. As a matter of fact, Danny decided to HIRE an offensive coordinator.....so he did. Perhaps the knee was jerking again, who knows. However, the coaching search resumed with rumors flying everywhere, finally, in one great jerk of the knee, Danny decided to make his newly aquired offensive coordinator the new HEAD COACH. It must have been one heck of a knee jerk considering nobody in football saw it coming...INCLUDING Jim Zorn.
And following along those lines, an inury to Daniels last summer facilitated yet ANOTHER knee jerk, this time to trade important draft picks in order to acquire a 33 year old apathetic ball room dancer, who just happened to play football on the side. Of course, sometimes one knee jerk can cancel out another, and perhaps that is what Danny was thinking when he decided to send the ball room dancer packing and back to where he came from, as a result of a disagreement over lifting some weights.
So this latest fiasco of "trade or not to trade" should not be a huge surprise. It shouldn't even be surprising to Todd Collins that only one year after signing a lucrative 3 year deal, Danny's knee is acting up again. I mean, with the knee jerking around like that, SOMEBODY has got to go and Danny needs to get somebody to replace that somebody. Thats what happens when a knee starts jerking.
I wish I could say I see a direction with all of this jerking that his knee is doing, but sadly, I cannot see any direction at all. It's like the knee is spinning round and round out of control. Here is a list of "wouldn't surprise me's:
1) Campbell has a good season, Redskins make the playoffs, but Danny trade's him to another team for a high draft pick.
2) Redskins make the playoffs, Danny gets into the Cowher speepstakes, bids and wins, and Danny thanks Zorn for an amusing 2 years.
3) In an uncapped year, Danny cashes in his bearer bonds and grandmothers gold necklace, and brings in 8 all pro free agents from around the league in yet another attempt to purchase a Superbowl.
4)Danny and Vinnie attempt to bring in Michael Vick as a whatever.
5) Danny and Vinnie stay joined at the hip, and continue to cook up the NFL's version of ponzie schemes, and continue to create more talk than Rush Limbaugh.
6) The knee will continue to jerk violently, and we will all continue to be amazed with these occasional "SHOCK AND AWE" knee jerk concoctions.