There is no reasons to get stuck in game day traffic if you take some simple precautions.
The following paragraph was sent by email from the Senior VP of Operations of the Washington Redskins:
We advise all fans to arrive as early as possible to allow access to their preferred parking lot. If you have a Green or Orange Lot pass and are arriving within 90 minutes of kick-off, we recommend that you enter the Stadium grounds on Garrett Morgan Boulevard, which would bring you in closer to the Green[/Orange] Lots that will have spaces available at that point.
In addition, fans driving to the stadium on GameDay can get traffic text alerts sent to their cellphones -- just text RSTRAFFIC to 44636. This service gives fans access to regular updates on the best routes to use to get to and from FedExField on game day.
Otherwise, regarding your route to the stadium, here are some ideas:
A) COME EARLY. Obviously, many have valid reasons why they cannot arrive early. Nevertheless, this is one fool-proof solution. If you cannot come early, you should still plan on being in your parking spot by no later than an hour before kickoff, and that includes taking all the traffic delays into account including gridlock on the beltway. Being parked an hour prior to kickoff should be your worst case scenario. Of course, it would be much better if you could arrive much sooner.
B) CHOOSE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE. The heaviest-used access route is via Redskins Rd/Landover Rd. Exit 17. The lightest-used access Rt is via Morgan Blvd./Central Ave. Exit 15. If you are not an early bird, consider the probability that the shortest route is the route everybody else is taking. And if that is true, it may be significantly faster to take a different route, even if it costs you an extra mile or two. Here are some ideas:
- 1) Use Beltway Exit 13. I've been told hardly anybody uses this route. Take Ritchie Marlboro Rd. west to Ritchie Rd. Turn right. This road changes to Morgan Blvd. You're there.
- 2) Use Rt 295, Baltimore-Washington Pkwy. Rt. 295 is Beltway Exit 22. Take the Baltimore-Washington Pkwy south to Rt 202 Landover Rd. Take Rt 202 Landover Rd. east. You will eventually turn right onto Brightseat Rd. You're there.
- 3) Use Route 704. See map. Route 704 (Martin Luther King, Jr. Hwy) is interesting because it is one of the few that easily hooks up with Sheriff Rd to the west and also Brightseat Rd. to the north. Here are three options:
- a) Taking Sheriff Rd towards the stadium, you unfortunately won't be allowed to turn right onto Redskins Rd. But you can cross it (Sheriff Rd becomes Brightseat Rd.) and access the grey lots on the right or Arena Dr or even Central Ave. by continuing up Brightseat. you can also take advantage of cash parking on the front lawns of private homes along Sheriff Rd. for around $25
- b) Another option from Rt 704 (coming from the north) is to turn at Ardwick Ardmore Rd. for one block, then turn right at Brightseat. From there, you can proceed south for about a mile and a half and you'll run right into the stadium. Except for FedExField area fans, this route is relatively unknown and severely underused. You're there.
- c) From Rt 704 (coming from the south), turn right onto Rt 202 Landover Rd. Make your next right onto Brightseat Rd. You're there.
- 4) Use Route 50. See map. Here are two options:
- a) Take Route 50 (from the Beltway, use beltway exit 19 and head west; from the city, head east) then use exit 3 to get onto Rt. 202 Landover Rd. Take Landover Rd east, then turn right onto Brightseat Rd. You're there.
- b) As you are traveling down Rt 50 from the east towards the beltway, take the New Carrolton Metro / Marc Train exit which is just before the beltway exit. But instead of turning into the Metro rail complex, continue straight. The road will change from Garden City Dr to Ardwick Ardmore Rd. Continue across Rt 704, and make your next right onto Brightseat Rd. Follow to the stadium. You're there.
- 5) Use Route 410 East-West Hwy. See map. From the city or from Bethesda / Chevy Chase, take this east and it will evenually connect with Rt 295 (B-W Pkwy) or Rt 50 (see directions above). From Bethesda, this route will take one hour or less.
- 6) Use Route 193. See map. This is Greenbelt Rd. closer to the beltway, but it's called Enterprise Rd. east of the beltway, and Enterprise Rd. runs roughly parallel to the beltway. It easily hooks up with Landover Rd., Arena Dr., or Central Ave., either directly or by using Lottsford Rd.
- 7) Use the New Carrolton Metro / Marc Train beltway exit. See map. This is actually the Rt. 50 West exit, but you will immediately exit towards the Metrorail/Marc which is marked. But instead of proceeding straight towards the metrorail complex, make your first left turn at the first stop light intersection which is Pennsy Dr. Make your next left onto Ardwick Ardmore Rd. Proceed through the Rt 704 intersection and make your next right onto Brightseat Rd. Follow across Landover Rd. and to the stadium. You're there.
- 8) Use East Capitol St. From the city, East Capitol St headed east changes into Rt 214 Central Ave. Turn left onto Morgan Blvd. You're there.
- 9) Use New York Ave. From the city, New York Ave. headed east changes into Rt 50. Use exit 3 to get onto Rt. 202 Landover Rd. headed east. Turn right at the top of the hill onto Brightseat Rd. You're there.
- 10) Beltway Exit 15. Central Ave. This might be a wise choice if you're on the beltway coming from the north and the right lanes are filled with people trying to file in via Exits 17 and 16. Pass them on the left and use Exit 15 ( ...or exit 13).
- 11) Beltway Exit 16. Arena Dr. This is not as heavily used as Exit 17, Landover Rd. If you have a green or orange parking pass and kickoff is within 90 minutes of reaching this exit, your are advised to use Exit 15.
- 12) Beltway Exit 17. Rt. 202 Landover Rd. This is the most heavily used access point and it requires a left turn at a busy intersection. If you have a green or orange parking pass and kickoff is within 90 minutes of reaching this exit, your are advised to use Exit 15.
Here's a printer-friendly pdf from the team outlining directions from various locations (note the three commonly used beltway exits are the least advised routes): http://prod.static.redskins.clubs.nf...FedExField.pdf
Regional Map (note: Bishop Peeples Dr on the mapquest map is Arena Dr): Click here for regional map.