As a relatively young fan who (at least I believe) has a decent historical knowledge of the franchise, players, etc., I often find myself wondering about certain things that aren't reflected in the stat sheet, things that may have happened a while ago and have sort of been lost in time, with no real record. A few questions that my raise some decent debate and/or discussion:
(1) After Super Bowl XXII, and coming into the 1988 season, was Doug Williams publicly annointed the starting quarterback over Jay Schroeder? I seem to remember Schroeder being on the team up to at least training camp. What was the story?
(2) Charlie Brown was an up and coming superstar in the 1982-1983 seasons. Looks like he may have been injured in 1984, then was traded or released. Why did the team give up on him, and what did we receive in return?
(3) When George Rogers was brought in before the 1985 season, how did Riggins react, knowing that Rogers was going to be his replacement?
(4) When Dexter Manley was banned from the league, what was the general fan/local media reaction? When he returned to the league, why didn't the Redskins take him back? Too much history?
(5) When Theismann broke his leg in 1985, did the fanbase /local media/team expect that he would eventually return, or was the injury immediately deemed to be career ending?
The purpose of this thread is to discuss similar topics, and to tap into some of the knowledge possessed by the "older" members of the board.