I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one Klesse which is unusual. But there are a couple of reasons for it.
1. Complete roster overhaul: Nothing to do with changing schemes, just going from the oldest team in the NFL to one of the younger ones. With a complete lack of talent. Revamping a team that Vinnie had run for years takes time.
2. System/Scheme changes: Going from a 4/3 to a 3/4 Defense and gong from a power running game to a zone blocking scheme requires different types of players on both sides, regardless of talent.
3. Lack of depth: We've been a top heavy team with little to no depth. That had to be addressed as well, and I think it's safe to say our depth in most areas has improved.
4. $36 Millions dollars worth of BS: this has hurt us in being able to bring good FA's in positions of need (OL/DB) and will bite us next year as well. I'd like to get past that before making a decision.
5. There has been REAL progress made already. I like what we're doing and the direction we are moving in. OL is still an issue, but I think next year we might be able to have that mostly taken care of. DL looks strong AND deep. WR looks strong and deep. QB is set, with RGIII and Cousins. LB's are strong and deep. Safety looks in good shape, but we still have issues at CB. RB could be improved on as well. Overall though, I like our depth and our direction. I'm willing to give Shanahan 5 years. The mentality is different.
Edit: Before the season, I predicted 6-10. So I dont expect huge strides to show up in the win/loss column