ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: 2012 Redskins vs Vikings
Redskins 38 - Vikings 26
For those attending today's game, that odor you smell is simply those bama's from Dallas. The Cowboys are up the Beltway taking on the Ravens today.
Now, the last game I covered here at FedEx was last year's disappointing loss to the Vikings. The Skins pretty much dominated them until they took out both, their quarterback and their starting running back. Then the backups came in and the Vikes started to get healthy on us, eventually walking out with a seven point win. Though earlier in that offseason, the Vikes did take McNugget off our hands and we turned that pick in this year's Draft into Alfred Morris. So the Vikes can't be all that bad.
Speaking of "that bad" Billy Cundiff is no longer with us. Can I get a hallelujah? Today marks the regular season debut of Kobra Kai Forbath at kicker. I hear he's perfect from the 31.
The Vikings are coming off of a 30-7 win against the Titans that catapulted them to a 4-1 record, and a tie with the Bears for first in the NFC North.
Meanwhile, the Skins have now lost an entire home season's worth of games at home. They last won at FedEx against the Cardinals in Week 2 of last year. With Rex Grossman. So if Rex can get a win or two here, RG3 should be primed for success.
Speaking of success, my keys to today's game are 3rd Downs. On both sides of the ball. Right now, we're running it backasswards. The Offense can't convert them while the Defense gives them away like they have the plague.
Next key is to see if Robert has learned to slide after last week where his head was bounced around in a dual collision like a pinball. It's one thing to want to protect him as he is the Franchise. However, some fans need to understand that this is football. And in football, they don't wear pink tutus.
Redskins lead overall series, 11-10
Regular season series is tied, 8-8
Last meeting: Dec. 24, 2011 (33-26, Vikings)
Running back Alfred Morris continues to be one of the NFL’s breakout stars this season. Morris — selected 173rd overall by the Redskins in the 2012 NFL Draft with a pick acquired from Minnesota in the Donovan McNabb trade — has rushed 100 times for 491 yards and four touchdowns.
What to Look For This Week
• The Redskins rushing for 125 or more yards for their eighth consecutive game, dating back to last season. This would mark the first time the Redskins have done so since rushing for 125 or more yards in eight straight games in Weeks 12-17 of the 2006 season and Weeks 1-2 of the 2007 season.
• The Redskins not posting a negative turnover margin for a seventh consecutive game, dating back to last season. The last time the Redskins posted an even or positive turnover margin in seven consecutive games was in the midst of a 10-game stretch including Weeks 16-17 of the 2009 season and Weeks 1-8 of the 2010 season.
• The Redskins intercepting a pass for the seventh consecutive game, dating back to last season, for the first time since having interceptions in seven straight games from Weeks 11-17 of the 2005 season.
• The Redskins returning an interception for a touchdown for the third time this season. The last time the Redskins had at least three interception return touchdowns in a season was 1999 (three).
• The Redskins returning an interception for a touchdown in consecutive games for the first time since Weeks 7-8 of the 1994 season (Darrell Green and Andre Collins).
• The Redskins scoring a fourth defensive touchdown in a season for the first time since 1999 (four).
• Nose tackle Barry Cofield earning his 100th career start. Cofield played in his 100th career game last week.
• Linebacker London Fletcher extending his consecutive games played streak to 230.
• Fletcher registering his 20th interception to become the third active player to amass at least 20 interceptions and 30 sacks (Ray Lewis and Brian Urlacher) and the seventh in NFL history to do so since sacks became an official statistic in 1982.
• Quarterback Robert Griffin III scoring his fifth rushing touchdown to pass the team record for rushing touchdowns in a season by a quarterback (four), shared by Eddie LeBaron (1955) and Joe Theismann (1979).
• Griffin III rushing for 59 yards to become the third Redskins quarterback since 1950 to rush for 300 yards in a season and join Joe Theismann as the only full-time quarterbacks to accomplish the feat (Note: Harry Gilmer primarily played left halfback despite being listed as a quarterback while rushing for 352 yards in 1952).
• Linebacker Ryan Kerrigan continuing his streak of never missing a defensive snap for the Redskins in his career. Kerrigan played every defensive snap for the Redskins during his rookie season in 2011 and in the first four weeks of 2012.
• Kerrigan becoming the first player in franchise history since the team’s move to Washington in 1937 to return an interception for a touchdown in consecutive regular season games.
• Wide receiver Joshua Morgan registering the 10th receiving touchdown of his career.
• Running back Alfred Morris gaining 75 rushing yards to join Pro Football Hall of Famer Eric Dickerson (1983) as the only rookies in NFL history to rush for 75 yards or more in their teams’ first six games. Morris and Dickerson are already the only two rookies in league history to rush for 75 or more yards in their teams’ first five games.
• Morris rushing for 75 yards to join Larry Brown (1972) and John Riggins (1983) as the only backs in team history since the merger to open a season with at least 75 yards in the first six games of a season.
• Morris notching his third consecutive 100-yard rushing performance. The Redskins’ last seven 100-yard rushing performances have all been by rookies (three by Roy Helu, Jr. and two by Evan Royster in 2011; two by Morris in 2012).
• Morris chasing Larry Brown for most rushing yards by a Redskin in the team’s first six games of a season. Morris is currently 159 yards shy of Brown’s 650-yard total from the first six games of the 1972 season.
• Santana Moss catching two touchdowns to become the 70th player in NFL history to account for 60 career receiving touchdowns.
A Win Would...
... even the Redskins’ record at 3-3 this season.
... be the Redskins’ first home win since Sept. 18, 2011.
... snap an eight-game home losing streak.
... give the Redskins a 9-8 advantage in their regular season series against the Vikings.
... push the Redskins’ overall record against the Vikings, including postseason games, to 12-10.
... improve the Redskins to 3-2 against NFC opponents this season.
... give Head Coach Mike Shanahan his 168th overall victory as an NFL head coach, which would tie him with Pro Football Hall of Famer Bud Grant for 14th all-time.
... be Shanahan’s 160th regular season victory as an NFL head coach. Shanahan passed Grant in this category in Week 4.
... make Shanahan 3-4 against the Vikings in his career.
* Ranks first in the NFL in yards after catch average (7.3)
* Ranks tied for first in the NFC and tied for second in the NFL in total touchdowns (17)
* Ranks tied for first in the NFC and tied for third in the NFL in rushing touchdowns (8)
* Ranks tied for first in the NFC and tied for fourth in the NFL in give-aways (4)
* Ranks second in the NFL in 10+ yards gain rushing (29)
* Ranks second in the NFC and tied for second in the NFL in yards per pass attempt (7.4)
* Ranks second in the NFC and tied for second in the NFL in return touchdowns (4)
* Ranks second in the NFC and third in the NFL in rushing first downs (46)
* Ranks second in the NFC and tied for third in the NFL in yards per rush attempt (5.1)
* Ranks second in the NFC and fourth in the NFL in rushing yards per game (162.6)
* Ranks second in the NFC and fourth in the NFL in yards after catch (740)
* Ranks third in the NFL in yards per first-down plays (6.70)
* Ranks third in the NFL in yards per play (6.3)
* Ranks third in the NFC and fifth in the NFL in turnover differential (+7)
* Ranks third in the NFC and seventh in the NFL in rushing attempts per game (31.8)
* Ranks third in the NFC and tied for seventh in the NFL in yards per reception (12.6)
* Ranks fourth in the NFC and eighth in the NFL in passer rating (97.6)
* Ranks fifth in the NFC and seventh in the NFL in yards per game (400.6)
* Ranks sixth in the NFC and eighth in the NFL in points per game (28.0)
* Ranks first in the NFL in passes defensed (38)
* Ranks second in the NFL in defensive touchdowns (3)
* Ranks tied for third in the NFC and tied for fifth in the NFL in takeaways (11)
* Ranks tied for third in the NFC and tied for sixth in the NFL in forced fumbles (6)
* Ranks sixth in the NFC and tied for ninth in the NFL in fumble recoveries (4)
* Ranks sixth in the NFC and 10th in the NFL in rushing yards allowed per game (87.8)
Redskins Special Teams
* Ranks first in the NFC and second in the NFL in opponents’ average drive start (19.2)
* Ranks tied for second in the NFC and tied for fourth in the NFL in touchbacks (18)
* Ranks fourth in the NFC and seventh in the NFL in punt return average allowed (6.6)
* Ranks fifth in the NFC in kick return average allowed (21.6) Individual Leaders
* Lorenzo Alexander ranks first in the NFL in special teams tackles (9)
* London Fletcher is sixth in the NFC in total tackles (43)
* Pierre Garçon ranks first in the NFL in longest reception (88t)
* Robert Griffin III ranks first in the NFL in completion percentage (69.1%)
* Griffin III ranks tied for first in the NFL in interceptions thrown (1)
* Griffin III ranks first in the NFL in first downs rushing efficiency (38.1%)
* Griffin III ranks first in the NFL among quarterbacks in rushing attempts (41) and yards (241)
* Griffin III ranks first in the NFC and second (first among rookies) in the NFL in yards per rush attempt (5.7)
* Griffin III ranks tied for second in the NFL in rushing touchdowns (4)
* Griffin III ranks second (first among rookies) in the NFL in yards per pass attempt (8.4)
* Griffin III ranks third in the NFC and fifth (first among rookies) in the NFL in quarterback rating (101.0)
* Alfred Morris ranks tied for second in the NFL in rushing touchdowns (4)
* Morris ranks second in the NFC and fifth (first among rookies) in the NFL in rushing attempts (100)
* Morris ranks second in the NFC and tied for fourth (first among rookies) in the NFL in rushing first downs (25)
* Morris ranks second in the NFC and fourth (first among rookies) in the NFL in rushing yards (491)
* Morris ranks first in the NFL in 10+ yards gains rushing (17)
* Morris ranks fourth in the NFC and eighth (first among rookies) in the NFL in total offensive touches (102)
* Morris ranks third in the NFC and 10th (first among rookies) in the NFL in yards from scrimmage (507)
* Morris ranks tied for fifth in the NFC and tied for 10th (first among rookies) in the NFL in total first downs (26)
* Morris ranks sixth in the NFC in all-purpose yards (507)
* Morris ranks tied for seventh in the NFL in yards per rush attempt (4.9)
* Josh Wilson ranks tied for third in the NFL in fumble recoveries (2)
Follow us on twitter as Murf @HomerMcFanboy & myself @TKextremeskins
Find your ESPN 980 radio stream here.
As always, the ES Chat room is also available here.
Kobra Kai puts in the cornerfor a touchback.
Vikes open with looking to pass which turns into Ponder running for his life for a gain of 2.
AP is contained to 3 yards & its 3rd down.
Skins D continues to give up the 3rd down.
Harvin picks up a 1st for 15 yards.
AP rips off a 32 yard runto the Skins 10. So much stillbeing abletokeep him contained.
AP for another 5.
Ponder incomplete & its 3rd down again.
Ponder complete to Gareheart at the 2. 4th down.
Skins D gave up the yardage, but managed to stop the touchdown. 9 plays, 78 yard drive.
Vikes 3. Skins 0.
Banks to return & its a touchback.
RG3 with the pitch to Morris for a loss of 4.2nd down.
Pitch to Morrisagain for a loss of 3. 3rd down.
Dump off pass to Royster gets em back to their 20 & its 4th down.
Vikes start at the 47 & feed it to AP.
Ponder completes to Gerheart for another 1st down.
Ponder scrambles & its incomplete to Gerheart.
Skins Defense continues togive upyardage, but finally seemto get some pressure on Ponder.And then he dumps it off to AP who gets it to the 9.Field goal is good.
Vikes 6. Skins 0.. 8 plays for 47 yards.
Defense needs to figure out how to stop them before they get intothe Red Zone.
RG3 gets out of bounds without sliding or getting hit. The entire stadium just exhaled in a sigh of relief.
RG3 just threw his 2nd INT of the season. Cleaqrly Rex has been working with him.
Offense just seemed like they were playing to desperate to make something happen on the INT drive.
Defense still manages to keep Minny out of the End Zone & hold em to another field goal.
Vikes 9. Skins 0.
Defense as bad as they are, are actually keeping themin this game simply by holding Minny to FGs. The Offense HAS to get it going on this drive.
Skins start to finally move the chains with 15 yard pass to Fred Davis & continuing to feed it to Morris.
End of 1st Quarter with the Skins down 9-0.
Banks runs for a loss of 1. 2nd & 11.
EAGLES just LOST in OT.
RG3 to Moss for a gain of 5 yet still doesn't convert the 3rd down.
Back to Moss for a gain of 6 on 4th down for the 1st down. Skins starting to roll now.
Niles Paul gets called for holding. 1st & 15.
Banks back in at WR. Paul gets pancaked as Banks gets maybe a yard. RG3 feedingpasses to Banks who isn't getting much yardage at all. Incomplete to Morris & it's 4th & 15. Kobra Kai in for an attempt of 50 yards. ITS GOOD.
ITS ****ING GOOD!!!!!
Had a technical difficulty for a few there as internet went out or ES had another server overload. Anyways, whatever it was, allows the Skins to finally convert a 3rd down. Moss picks up 30 yards on a pass from RG3 & the crowd errupts. We rollin now. Just have to finish this with 7. RG3 makes the smart move, throws it away & takes a shot. Minny penalized for it. RG3 chants erupt in the crowd & a small one started in the press box. VERY smart play on the throw away as it looked like RG3 played the Ref to get the flag. Pretty cool to have a QB here that gets treated by refs the way a Brady or Manning do.
1st& goal from the 7. Morris hits a brick wall at the 2. 2nd & goal at the 1. Royster for no gain. 3rd down. Timeout Minny......TOUCHDOWN Allfred Morris.
Skins on top 10-9.
Offense got it together on an 11 play, 90 yard drive. Defense still needs to keep them in this though.
Kobra Kai with the kickoff into the endzone, juggled & downed by Harvin.
Defense needs to tighten it up here.They've held Minny to 3 plays this quarter so far. One Man Gang makes it only 4 plays with a batted ball & recovery. Riley stripped it & Lo recovers. RG3 to Young for the quick n easy TD. Kobra Kai for the extra and its now Skins 17 Vikes 9. One play. 6 yards. 6 seconds.
Kai kicks it to the 2 & its returned to the 23. Step it back up D.
TWO MINUTE WARNING
Defense is starting to holdem. 3rd down annnnnd theres they 3rd down converted. Defense needs to be more consistant. Jeez. Minny burns their 2nd time out.......2nd & 11 Ponder complete to Harvin for 9 & its the dreaded 3rd down again. One Man Gang & Bowen with the sack on Ponder for a loss of 9. Minny punts. 49 seconds left, Skins called for holding during the punt & take over at their own 5. Skins take a knee & its halftime.
Just got out of the halftime chow line in time to see the horse collar call & Griff run it in for another TD. Griff's a damn rockstar.
Defense still continues to give up 3rd downs, though Ponder does look like a standard issue game manager QB. He just had a WR wide open in the endzone & instead completes it to a guy at the 30. If he were a better QB, they would have had 7 there. Instead, they're trying to dink n dunk it or inch by inch it. 3rd & 6. Crowd comes alive. Ponder chased out towards the sideline, throws off balance with bad mechanics & they settle for yet another field goal.
Skins 24 Vikes 12.
As FOX is showing RG3 Rockstar highlights, He hits a wide open Fred Davis on the sideline. And now Fred gets a holding penalty. Griff fakes a handoff, quick throw to Davis over the middle who drops it. 9yard pass to Hank & it's 3rd down. Again. Griff runs & picks up 8 but it's not enough. Rocca in to punt & it's downed at the 3. Time to pick off Ponder again here if he's dumb enough to throw. End of the Third.
Minny from their 6. Ponder for 13 to Rudolph. Ponder chased out of the pocket again & is forced to slide. Ponder sacked for número yards. Minny now 4-10 on 3rd downs. Minny called for false start. 3rd & 12. Loud DEFENSE chant now. Ponder gets picked off & it's returned for a TOUCHDOWN by Williams. Kobra Kai with the kick and Skins are rolling.
Skins 31. Vikes 12.
Skins D now has 49 points this year off of turnovers. They only had 43 points last year.
Press box is already trying to figure how many Poppa Johns free toppings they get tomorrow.
Defense started off looking rough, but quickly tightened up and came to play today. Still, lots of room for them to improve on. Glad someone finally figured out that by moving the LBs & Ss into the D!ine gaps. Someone musta showed Hazbeen LL's All 22 Film Threads. Defense has made Ponder look pretty pedestrian today.
Oops. Start to give the D some early credit & they finally give up a TD & a 2 PT conversion.
Skins 31 Vikes 20.
Time for the resident Rockstar to go back to work after the D just gave up 8 points.
Skins are now 5-10 on 3rd downs. Offense stalls. Punt. BOOM! Niles Paul just blew him into next week. OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH erupted in the press box. Now everyones laughing at the ref basically saying "dude got jacked up, let's go" : ols:
Wow. Kerrigan with a grab n a miss on Harvin who was about to break it open. Williams with the stop. 3rd down. Ponder outruns Fletch on a stretch for two & the 1st down. Defense can't seem to get off the field here. Vikes now at the Skins 28. 3:53 left on the clock...Ponder to the endzone. P.I. Called on Wilson. Ball on the 1. Ugh. Ponder to a wide open Rudolph for a TD. Going for 2.....NO GOOD.
Skins 31. Vikes 26
Skins at their 20. Time to go to work. Griffey sacked for a loss of 3....2nd down....pitch to Morris....3rd down. Again. Need to convert this one & eat up the clock....
RG3 just put the entire league on notice. 76 yard TD run. I think he just won the Gold with that there.
Skins 38 Vikes 26.
RG3 chant during the kickoff was deafening.
Two Minute Warning
Ponder sacked by Zo. One Man Gang came to play today.
Vikes still playing the short game....but get a 1st down.
1:45 to go....Ponder with another pass for a 1st down....1:32 to go. Minny burns a timeout. 2nd & 1....incomplete in the endzone....3&1....incomplete to the corner endzone again....4th down.....Vikes need a yard & get it....Defensive calls have reverted back to crap blitz/rushes....3&5... 54 tics left on the clock.....ponder passes complete to Harvin who gets drilled at the 1....Incomplete pass to AP....2nd & Goal.....AP gets in BUT there's a flag for false start on the offense....Minny backs up, completes a pass to AP to the 3....Ponder drilled as he throws PICKED OFF BY D.HALL! 22 secs left....RG3 takes the knee and the Skins snap an eight game loosing streak here at FedEx.
Skins 38. Vikes 26.
Griffey said that on the run, he saw the shift, knew the middle would be open & once he got to the sideline he thought about getting out of bounds because that's what everyone had been telling him to do.
On the "hit" where he sold it, he said it was clearly a case of him & the Ref being on the same page.
To see ExtremeSkins game photos click HERE
To listen to comments from Stephen Bowen click HERE
To listen to comments from Fred Davis click HERE
To listen to comments from Kai Forbath click HERE
To listen to comments from Ryan Kerrigan click HERE
To listen to comments from Alfred Morris click HERE
To listen to comments from Niles Paul click HERE
To listen to comments from Trent Williams click HERE
To listen to comments from Darrel Young click HERE