madoodoo gave up the Robinson td...he needs to be cut in his exit interview tmrw...draft an young stud safety an pair him with merriweather...upgrade the dt's an a speed back that can block an catch out the backfield...I like our young dbs we will have coming back, don't know how many pics will make the roster should make for good competition nxt yr for the 53..
If we pick up two good cornerbacks, I think I'm ok with Wilson, I would love for Hall to drop back with Merriweather (Or someone better that was picked up) Somehow make Orakpo and Kerrigan just full time rushers and Rob Jackson back there with Fletcher and Perry Riley.
Don't understand the need for another WR??
Even talking about getting a new RT, if anything my bet is they will give a late round pick to those spots.
I think they will target LB, CB and Safety.
I don't really think we need to touch the offense side of the ball except for depth. Maybe an upper tier lineman, but we really don't have any money and we need two safeties. We cannot go on without better safety play. With our ridiculous cap penalty, o line and safety might be the only moves we can make. I hope the Redskins legal team has been working on some miracle way to get our 18 million back this year.
Needs are same as they were pretty much around week 2 or 3 of the season.
Free Safety: Jackson is suspended until next August at a minimum. We need another plan, and a good plan at that.
Right Tackle: Polumbus nor Black nor anyone besides Williams on our roster is a starting RT. Draft one, sign one, whatever, just get one. RGIIIEx.'s statement, if true, makes that the most important thing for protecting RGIII going forward.
Cornerback: Wilson and Hall actually did decently down the stretch, and Crawford and Minnifield might do ok, but something has to be done concerning Hall's contract, and that might involve replacement. Also, a top level corner would help a lot too anyway.
ILB: I love Fletcher, but long term he's not in the cards. The question is if K. Robinson is ready to take over in 2014 or not. If yes, it's less of a problem, if not, we need a guy.
WR is there too, but I'm inclined to roll with what we have for another year. It's important to remember that we didn't have a full complement of starters at any point this year. Garcon was injured in the first game, then before we was healthy again Davis went down. Let Hank and Robinson (and possibly Briscoe) develop another year and see what we have. If they don't develop, then maybe go after someone in 2014.
The only, ONLY way I'm even discussing Fitzgerald is if we could do something like Cousins+3rd rounder for Fitzgerald. One BIG, MASSIVE, 15 MILLION DOLLAR problem there? His contract. It's freakin' HUGE.
Disagree on many points, and many directions, with the OP. My own shopping list taking into account our cap penalties...
First, of the Free Agents from our team I'd say our shopping list should look like:
- - - Fred Davis, sign him to a good but not earth shattering contract if you can. If not, franchise him if the money isn't outrageous
- - - Kory Lichtenstieger, give him a fair contract for 3 to 4 years. He's still young enough and talented enough in this scheme but unlikely to get a ton of attention from other non-zone blocking teams
- - - Lorenzo Alexander, reup this man. Nuff said
- - - Rob Jackson, pay him but be reasonable. Unless you're trading Orakpo, we can't break the bank for the kid.
- - - Chris Baker, resign him for a cheap price. Good depth guy here.
- - - Cedric Griffin, see below in talk of secondary
- - - Sav Rocca, absolutely resign the punter
Second, free agent signings to fill in our positions of need. Specifically, in the secondary...
- - - Free Safety. I think we need to fill Free Safety in FA this year with Meriweather slotting in at Strong, and grabbing "the future" in the draft. This is where I wouldn't mind paying a bit of money. If the Bills don't franchise Byrd, then spend the money to sign him. If not, then I wouldn't actually mind taking a look at Kenny Phillips. I understand he's had some injury history, but I think we could get him at a reasonable price and I believe he could be a good player for us. Louis Delmas could be a third option here.
- - - CB. Hall either needs to be cut or restructured. Either way, we badly need to look for another solid CB. If we keep Hall somehow, we say goodbye to Cedric Griffin. If we cut bait with Hall, try to resign Griffin for a reasonable contract. Not as familiar with the CB market to say who to grab here. Ultimately I'd like our CB corps to look like: Free Agent, Wilson, Hall/Cedric, Crawford, Minnifield, Rookie
- - - RT. Polumbus is up as a free agent. I'd like to see us try and find out if we can upgrade this position, but I put it 3rd behind FS and CB. If we can't find better than Polumbus, try to resign him and let him compete with Hurt and Compton
Third, we have our shopping list for the draft...
- - - Safety / CB of the future. I think we need to take one of these two with our second pick, depending on the BPA for our board between the two. We should spend a pick sometime in the next two rounds to take the other position.
- - - MLB Help. I hope to see Fletcher back, and I like the kid out of Texas, but it may not hurt us to snag another MLB to have our bases covered when Fletcher retires. I would put this within our first three picks as well
- - - O-Line Project. As with previous drafts, grab a late round lineman or two that fit the zone blocking scheme and are good value.
That would be my shopping list of choice. I'm fine with our WR corps and, at most, adding perhaps a project from the draft. Similarly, IF Helu is healthy then I'm fine with our RB situation. Healthy or not, I'd be fine with taking a late round project here as well (and if Helu is NOT healthy, definitely take a late round gamble on RB). I think our O-Line depth is actually pretty good with LeRiebus, Hurt, Compton, and Gettis and outside of Polumbus I'm not massively troubled by our starters.
My one wild card would actually be Rolando McClain. IF the Raiders drop him, then I'd seriously consider seeing if we can woo him over here if Fletcher retires. I think he'll make a better 3-4 MLB than 4-3, and I think getting out of Oakland may help him out a bit in getting his mind right.
Last edited by ZRagone; January-6th-2013 at 09:55 PM.
Well assuming we can clear some Cap space I would hope they go CB and OT in FA and LB, S, CB, and DE in the draft. We do need a big play WR opposite Garçon and I like Greg Jennings from the Packers. I assuming they'll restructure Moss, Fletcher, Bowen, Coefield, and Carriker freeing up around (20 mil) and cut J. Brown and Hall (15 mil) and we'll carry over 7 million from this year and the cap going up around 2 mil well have at least 15-17 mil to spend but any new FA contracts would have to be backloaded into 2014.
Safety. CB.WR. Lineman. In that order.
Also, now players have reasons other than money to come here. So that's cool.
All of our MAIN areas of need can be done with draft and FA. Deep WR and Safety draft.
The King stay the King.
The amount of players we're getting back from injury next season is going to make any off-season we have a success. If you think back a year ago today, nearly everyone on ES thought Helu was our stud RB of the future, not too mention we're getting 3 of our better players back on defense in Orakpo, Carriker and Brandon Meriwether. Returning all of those players combined with a few solid signings and draft picks and we should be in a very solid spot going into next season.
Faith and hope have been restored in our franchise. In Shanahan and Allen I trust. Than you for bringing us RG3!
Jairus Byrd S from Buffalo.
And maybe Mike Wallace from Pittsburgh.
Last edited by DM72; January-6th-2013 at 10:20 PM.
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)